How To Apply Security To The Worksheet In MS Excel 2010
MS Excel some smart protection related features which falls into three distinct categories.
- Worksheet protection – It protects the worksheet from being modified or restricts the extent of modification that can be done by certain users.
- Workbook protection – It protects the worksheet consisting of various sheets from being deleted or inserted and it requires the use of password in order to open and view the workbook.
Users wishes to protect the worksheet for a wide variety of reasons. One of the most common reasons is to prevent other and oneself from accidently deleting the required formula or critical data stored in the worksheet.
In order to protect a worksheet, go to the Review followed by Changes group, then Protect Sheet. A Protect Sheet dialog box will appear on the screen where you can enter the password to protect the sheet but it is an optional feature. There are also other options, which offer different kinds of protection to the worksheet – like checking on Format Cells option will not allow the users to format the cells.
Whenever you try to format the cell, it will show an error like below.
In order to unprotect the protected sheet, click on Review, followed by Changes group, then select Unprotect Sheet.
Protecting a Workbook
MS Excel offers three distinct ways to protect a workbook.
- Workbook will require a password to open.
- Prevent users from adding, deleting, hiding and unhiding the worksheets.
- Prevent users from changing the position or size of windows.
Requiring a password to open a workbook
Excel offers an extremely simple way of saving workbook with password for enhanced protection. In order to add passwords, follow these steps.
- Choose the file, followed by Info, Protect Workbook, Encrypt with Password.
- An Encrypt Document dialog box will appear on the screen.
- Type any password and click on OK.
- Retype the password and click on OK.
- Now, save the workbook.
If you wish to prevent others from making any changes to the workbook’s structure and Windows, follow these steps.
- Choose Review, followed by Changes group, Protect Workbook and it will display a dialog box.
- Now select the Structure check box and Windows check box.
- Then enter a password and click on OK.
- Previous How To Translate Worksheet In MS Excel 2010
- Next How To Create Data Tables In MS Excel 2010